Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rick Scott: How To Purchase The Governor's Mansion

I mean wow... $74 million dollars and a massive negative ad blitz later, Rick Scott won the most narrowly contested gubernatorial race since 1876 in the state of Florida. In the last two weeks alone, my home has received over twenty pieces of dark, scary-looking anti-Alex Sink literature making as many comparisons between her and President Obama as possible, and attempting to paint her as an "Obama Liberal."
I was already voting for Mrs. Sink, a veteran in Florida politics, and a competent, measured, bipartisan voice reaching above the din, but with the avalanche of negative ads and mudslinging towards her, i was cemented into my vote for Sink. Even my daughter remarked to me that if she could vote, she would probably be voting for Alex Sink now simply because of the incredible amount of negative ads sent to our house by Rick Scott. Unreal.
I'm gonna say this once, Rick. Don't let me hear you talking about unity and coming together. You've shown me about your concept of unity, you've demonstrated that your ideas and goals and plans for this state are secondary to destroying someone with slander and lies and mud. You have no right to speak to the residents of Florida about coming together, nor do you have any right to govern me. Seventy-four million dollars may have bought you a nice house to live in for a few years, but it will never purchase my respect or my allegiance.
If for no other reason than circumstances like this one, there should be so much more control over the types of advertising and campaigning that the candidates are allowed to smear across the television and into my mailbox. They should not be able to attack, unless it is face to face. Stand on that podium, Mr. Scott, and look Mrs. Sink in the eye and call her the foul things that your 74 million paid to have repeated ad infinitum on my television. Speak with your own mouth the wicked smears that appeared day after day in my mailbox.
But of course, you'll never do that. You'll appeal to unity and coming together, speak about the valiant fight your opponent has put forth, and you will congratulate her on a well-fought campaign. You will do this because honesty is a trait you do not possess, as well as decency and honor. That is why you will stand up there and speak out of the other side of your mouth now. You are no different than the rest of the politicians who are only out there to feather their own nests, and if in the process of serving their own interests they happen to serve ours, it will be a glorious accident. Thank you for further demonstrating the weaknesses in the system, thank you for further exploiting an already over-exploited public. We resent this as we have resented it every time we have been lied to, and we do not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment